I Try: DIY Brush Spot Cleaner

by - Friday, September 06, 2013

 Okay, just so we're clear, that's not pee in a spray bottle. I repeat: it's not pee in a spray bottle. Kthxbye.


Anyway, here's my little experiment a few days ago. I've always wanted to try making my own spot cleaner just because branded ones are so darn pricey. So I started looking for recipes and apparently not all cleaners have the same ingredients. Some include leave-on conditioner, some has dishwashing liquid, others have argan or olive oil. But there are three ingredients that are always present in these recipes and these three are the only things you need to make a spot cleaner.
What You Need:
Water. Drinking/Purified/Distilled/Boiled
Baby Shampoo
70% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol

Tools You Need:
A tablespoon
Measuring cup
spray bottle

How:
So basically, the proportions are 2 parts water and 1 part alcohol. I used a 1/4 measuring cup with mine so it all added up to 3/4 c (duh). For the baby shampoo, the measurement is 1 tablespoon per 3/4 c. Just add everything together in your spray bottle but be very careful when adding the shampoo and shaking everything together. Make sure not to create bubbles/foam when you shake the bottle so be very gentle with it. When you see that the water has the color of your shampoo, this means you're done.
 My Verdict:
 The concoction actually does a pretty good job in cleaning my brushes. It does take me several sprays to remove all powder products on my brushes though. Also, I find that the more I spray this on my brushes, the longer it takes for my brushes to dry so I swirl my brushes on a towel longer too. I feel like this is really worth a try especially for those who are looking for a cheap alternative to expensive brush cleaners.

You May Also Like

0 comments