New Lip on the Block: Sunnies Face Fluffmatte in Mood

by - Wednesday, October 03, 2018


Current mood: Mood.

It has been a while since I bought a lipstick. It's not that I imposed a no buy ban on myself; it's just that I still have a number of lippies in my stash to go through and honestly? Nothing has piqued my interest. Well, at least until around last month when all I saw in my social media timelines were photos and news of the newly launched makeup line, Sunnies Face. Yep, the same company behind Sunnies Studios! Not gonna lie, the photos and swatches of the Fluffmattes really got me curious. 9 shades of wearable matte lipsticks that are suitable for all skin tones- what's not to like?

A friend and I met up in UP Town Center where I finally got to see a physical store of Sunnies Face. I got to swatch the lippies but only two shades were available to purchase that time: Hot Sauce, described as a tomato red, and Mood, a taupe mauve. I really thought hard about purchasing a new lippie (I still have a handful of lippies to go through) but eventually, I gave in, went all YOLO, and purchased my very first Fluffmatte: Mood.


Before anything else, can we just talk about that packaging because I am obsessed! The sleek cream tube, the cutesy, artsy box- everything's so photogenic, I can't deal. Some say it looks like Glossier but I can't really comment on that because I haven't tried any Glossier products to say if they're really alike. Maybe next time when I actually have a Glossier product lol. But anyway, back to the packaging. The cream tube, while it's plastic, feels sturdy and not at all flimsy. It looks like something that can be easily stained though, especially if you just chuck it in your bag. I'll tell you this, though: the overall feel of the sleek tube and the box is very VERY millennial. Not teen millennial but more young adult millennial.


Mood is a taupe mauve shade, meaning it's a brown-purple cool tone shade. Totally right up my alley because taupes and mauves are my jam and this is practically their lovechild. I'd say the taupe is the dominant color here with the mauve being the undertone. It's the only mauve in the collection and technically the darkest one among the nude shades. Pigmentation is A+ as it starts to a medium opacity but can easily be layered to achieve full block-of-color opacity

The texture, surprisingly for a matte lip, is velvety and quite lightweight on the lips. It felt like a regular creme, only less creamy, a teeny bit lighter, and has a powdery feel to the touch. I'm honestly digging this formula. We all know how brutal matte lipsticks are (don't even get me started with the matte liquid lipsticks) so it's nice to have something that's comfortable to wear and not too drying on the lips. 

I don't get why people are pissed AF with its staying power. I mean, it's a freaking lipstick in a bullet, what do you expect? It's not like it's a bulletproof liquid lip, you know? Of course it'll transfer, smudge, and all that jazz. Silly babes. At this point, you should know that all you can do is either re-apply it or use a lip liner prior application. Jeez.


Mood on me. I like how this color makes my lips look more pouty and a bit fuller, kinda reminds me of Priyanka Chopra's lips on Quantico haha! As you can see, Mood doesn't really highlight chapped lips that much but it also doesn't make it look worse. On me, the mauve tone pops more, I think, but the strong taupe color is still dominant.

So thankful I bit the (lipstick) bullet and got Mood because I love it to death. It's something I'd rock any time of the day without a care in the world because it's such a gorgeous shade. Yes, it's not a peach or nude or a berry, but that's what makes it different and intriguing. Also, I'm not a fan or wearer of peachy nudes so there's that haha! My experience with Mood definitely made me want to try a few more colors (currently eyeing Major and 143) so I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. Not bad, Sunnies Face, not bad at all.

You May Also Like

0 comments