No Meat Mondays: Peanut & Sesame Noodles

by - Monday, October 01, 2018


Going the Asian route for today.

First things first: Happy First of October, dear reader!! It's the start a witching month heeheehee. :)

Not gonna lie, I’m a spag sauce kinda gal. I love tomato-based pasta sauces like no other and I could eat a plate of spaghetti all day, everyday without complaint. I sometimes like venturing into pestos and cream based sauces but tomato-based pasta sauces are my go-to most of the time. Maybe that's why I really like pizzas too haha! 

That said, I still like experimenting with new flavors and styles, especially when there’s noodles involved. What can I say, noodles and rice- they’re my kryptonite and I can’t make myself stay away from them. Today I’m taking a little break from any tomatoey stuff to go experiment with Asian, mostly Thai, flavors on a hearty dish: Peanut & Sesame Noodles.

I’ve heard and seen this dish before in restaurants and cooking channels but I never really tried and cook it so I’m so happy I got to now and I absolutely love it. Where do I even begin? I like that it’s so freaking easy to do. All you need it do is cook your noodles, blitz your sauce ingredients, then combine the two. Crazy easy, right?? And the sauce. The sauce is freaking amazing it deserves a gold medal. It’s creamy and nutty and tangy, and salty and sweet and spicy; it’s a whole band of flavors just jamming their way to my belly. Mix in the sauce with the egg noodles? I’m in heaven. 

With this recipe, you can always put in whatever veggies you want or have. You can put in broccoli florets, baby corn, scallions, snow peas, etc. in addition to the carrots and bell peppers. You can also amp up the spiciness and sweetness of the sauce, all depending on your taste preference. One discovery I had when I was cooking this is how basil just amps everything. So if you’re going to cook this, make sure you add some chopped up fresh basil leaves. Really, it makes all the difference. Fresh, not dried, okay?

This is definitely a dish that’s really great to bring to a potluck lunch or dinner as it’s different, flavorful, and filling. To make it non-vegetarian, add in shredded chicken or pork strips. To make it vegetarian/vegan, add your protein of choice like tofu or tempeh. Enjoy!


PEANUT & SESAME NOODLES
(adapted from TwoPeasandTheirPod.com)
YIELD: 2

Sauce:
3 tbsp sesame oil
1-1 ½ tbsp soy sauce*
4 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)**
2½ – 3 tbsp brown sugar (or maple syrup)
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 clove of garlic
1 – 1 ½ tsp hot sauce (or sriracha)

Other ingredients:
2 blocks of egg noodles***
½ tsp sesame oil
½ of red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 small carrot, sliced into strips
¼ - ½ c chopped fresh basil leaves, optional
greaseless hot & spicy peanuts, for garnish

1. Cook noodles according to instructions. Set aside.

2. In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and process/blend until smooth.

3. In a pan, heat up a sesame oil. Add in carrots and saute for about 2-4 mins. Add in bell pepper strips and cook for another minute or so.

4. Lower the heat and add in sauce. Let sauce warm up (don't let it boil too much or it'll reduce and become salty) then add in noodles. Adjust seasoning according to taste. Add in chopped basil, if using.

5. Garnish with peanuts and other garnish of choice like spring onions, sesame seeds, more basil leaves, etc.

NOTES
*Use tamari or coconut aminos to make it vegan.
**I used a no sugar, no salt kind.
***You can also use ramen noodles or udon.

You May Also Like

0 comments