No Meat Mondays: Bok Choy & Shiitake Saute

by - Monday, March 23, 2020


Getting the greens in.


One thing I like about cooking meatless dishes once a week is that I get to experiment with different ingredients, mostly vegetables, I haven't used or tried before. I remember the first time I cooked with zucchini. It just blew my mind that zucchini is so damn easy to cook and so tasty when seasoned generously. When I incorporated it in couscous and pasta, I was hooked.  Cooking with vegetables really helped me know about them more and this taught me how to avoid overcooking them...most of the time anyway.

Today's new ingredient for me is bok choy. Bok choy isn't new to me per se; I've had it often when I was in Singapore, mostly as a side dish for fish or in noodle soups in Food Republics. I've never cooked it before, though, so here it is. A bok choy dish that's perfect as a side dish or pretty much just on its own. As with most vegetables, good seasoning or a good sauce is the best way to really let them shine. I like boy choy's crunch but let's be honest, it's pretty much bland. Just a simple sauce is what bok choy needs to make it even more enjoyable, you know? A simple combination of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and vegetable stock is all you need, my friend. And if you're always in the hunt for some heat, add in chili flakes- trust me, they make this dish extra yummy.

Another way to "beef up" veggies? Mushrooms. In today's dish, I paired up bok choy with my ever favorite shiitake but to be honest, you can pretty much add in any type of mushroom you want here: wood ear, button, oyster,  portobello, enoki- whichever works for you. I like the flavor shiitake brings, though, as it adds that earthy taste and that chewy texture that's great in contrast with the crunch of the bok choy. Ahh, what a nice combo.

Since today's a meatless day, I paired this dish with just plain rice. I just love how hearty this meal is as a whole. If this is quite light for you, you can always add in your protein: seitan or tempeh slices, tofu, fish, shrimp, etc. Enjoy! xx



Bok Choy & Shiitake Saute
(Adapted from: ForTheLoveofCooking.net)
Yield: 2

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
around 20-30 grams dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked beforehand to soften
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
4 heads of bok choy, ends trimmed
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
generous pinch of dried chili flakes


1. Heat both oils in a pan and add in mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

2. Add in ginger and garlic. Saute until fragrant.

3. Add in bok choy, stock, and soy sauce. Let simmer until bok choy is wilted.

4. Sprinkle dried chili flakes for heat. Alternatively, you can use sliced green onions instead.

5. Serve hot.

You May Also Like

0 comments