No Meat Mondays: Noodle Stir Fry with Shiitake & Veggies

by - Monday, March 02, 2020


Instant, but make it fresh.


Little update: I'm not doing NMM regularly anymore. I tried but I ultimately realized that this isn't for me, y'all. But trying it out, going meatless, preparing each meatless dish- man, they just made me respect all vegetarians and vegans out there. It's not easy whipping out dishes and getting creative with them so props to all of you guys!

Having said that, I still have a few unpublished NMM posts out here so lemme post them weekly because 1). it's just in time for Lent and 2). backlog is real haha! Also, this is also my way of saying sorry for not being able to have a brand new Active Recap post today. Life, am I right? So yeah, expect a few NMM posts here in this space because I have around 4 or 6 posts that I have lined up, starting with this one! Enjoy!


What happens when you want a noodle stir-fry but want it a bit instant? Well, you cook fresh and rely on instant ramen noodles.

I still sometimes crave instant noodles but I'm still good at saying no to it (except for my ultimate fave, Sweet & Spicy Pancit Canton!!). But today, I gave in; well, a bit. I still got my noodles but definitely sans the flavor packets. Today we have some good and fresh noodle stir-fry, with that cheeky pack of instant ramen noodles.

Yes, all I want are the noodles because the faster the noodles cook, the better. I know these noodles are still, well, not the healthiest, but let me compensate with fresh veggies and a fresher sauce. The veggies are simple and very customizable; the sauce has an Asian touch to it and overall, SO good and filling, not to mention quick to whip up, thanks to that instant noodles that are done in minutes.

If you're not a big fan of instant noodles, you can always sub it with whatever you want or have in hand, but I recommend egg noodles, lo mein, and vermicelli. Those noodles take a bit longer to cook, but hey if you have time, why not? I'm just all about satisfying a noodle craving. As I've said before, veggies and all add-ins are fully up to you. Aside from carrots and leeks,  you can also add in snow peas, broccoli, spinach, corn, shredded cabbage- pretty much whatever you want or already have in your pantry. The veggies with the earthy flavor of the shiitakes- they all just work with the sauce and noodles and I can't get enough. Yum!


NOODLE STIR FRY WITH SHIITAKE & VEGGIES
(Adapted from: TheRusticWillow.com)
Yield: 2

Stir Fry:
2 packs of instant ramen noodles (discard flavor packets)
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
a generous handful of dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked beforehand to soften
1 medium carrot, cut into sticks
optional: other additional veggies

Sauce:
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce/tamari/liquid aminos
1 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce
1 - 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 - 1 tbsp water

Garnish (optional):
chopped spring onions or chives
chili flakes for heat


1. Combine sauce mix in a bowl. Set aside.

2. Cook noodles according to packet instructions. Drain then set aside.

3. Heat oil in a pan and add in garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant.

4. Add in mushrooms and carrots and saute until heated through.

5. Add in sauce mix and let it heat through.

6. Add in noodles and stir until completely coated in sauce.

7. Garnish with chopped spring onions and chili flakes.



You May Also Like

0 comments