Sampling Samples: Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer™ Physical Daily Defense SPF 30

by - Tuesday, January 18, 2022



Sunscreen!

It has been a while since I last reviewed a sunscreen sample so here's our first one of the year! I love trying out sunscreen samples because I get to enjoy them and try them out without spending a lot on full sized bottles. Plus, my skin gets to be protected from the sun's harmful rays!



Today's sample is from the brand Drunk Elephant. It's the Umbra Sheer™ Physical Daily Defense SPF 30. Here's the product's description in Drunk Elephant's website:

"The Umbra Sheer™ is a sheer physical sunscreen that delivers broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and helps aid in the prevention of free radical and oxidative damage." Umbra Sheer™ is formulated without any chemical sunscreens and is non-irritating, non-sensitizing, and free of fragrance and essential oils.

Its main ingredients include: 

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 20% 

Sunflower Shoot Extract (helps neutralize free radicals) 

Astaxanthin-Rich Algae Extract (provides defense from oxidative damage)

Raspberry Seed Oil (offers antioxidant protection from damaging environmental aggressors) 

Virgin Marula Oil (helps moisturize, nourish, and rejuvenate skin for a youthful glow) 

Aloe Vera Leaf Extract (moisturizes and soothes skin) 

Grape Juice Extract (acts as a free radical scavenger, soothes skin, and helps reduce redness)




Just like most sunscreens, the Umbra Sheer has a milky white color. It has a thin consistency but not too watery which makes it easy to blend on the skin. It has a slight 'sunscreen scent' as well but it goes away after a few hours.

This sunscreen gets my approval, around 95%. I do like that it's very lightweight and it's quite moisturizing which helped my dry patches a lot. It doesn't really feel sticky on the skin although it leaves a slight slippery feel on the skin. That's why I give it 95% because I don't know how it'll be once I put a makeup base that's liquid or cream on top of it. But if you use it on its own, it's a really good one. Plus points for not giving me a white cast too!

This sample is only 1.5ml but I was able to get 3-4 uses out of it. If we're talking first impressions, the Umbra Sheer passed with flying colors. Its formula is one I love in a sunscreen: lightweight and doesn't feel too heavy and hot on the skin. Its SPF30 may be low for some but for morning use, I think SPF30 is acceptable. Better than nothing, right?

You May Also Like

0 comments