I'm Bringing (Old) Brushes Back

by - Wednesday, March 25, 2015

When I decided to study makeup artistry after I graduated high school, I sort of went on a makeup spree, or rather a brush spree. I was obsessed with brushes more than makeup products and I just wanted to have buy every brush I see. Of course this was when I had absolutely no idea about makeup in general. When I entered makeup school, I got my first proper brush set (which was Royal & Langnickel) then I had two more brush sets when I went to my second makeup school. From then on, all I used were those brushes and everything else was forgotten. Well, until a couple of weeks ago.

I started digging out all my old brushes because, ehem, 70+ brushes isn't enough for me apparently. I guess I just wanted to use "new" stuff? I don't have a lot of old brushes left but I managed to take out a few to use again. Here are the ones making a comeback:


First up is the Nordstrom Foundation brush, given to me by my sister because she didn't know what to do with it lol. I don't use it for foundation but I've been trying to use it two ways: to blend out my concealer and as an undereye setting brush. So far, it's a better blender than a setter which makes sense since it's still a foundation brush.

Next up is the G-lish Eyeliner brush. This and gel liner is a horrible combo but I found a better partner for it: brow powder. Because the bristles are small, thin, and soft, it instantly reminded me of those brow brushes some high-end brands include in their brow palettes. I really like it as a brow brush because it lets me have more control. It doesn't pick up a lot of product so I get to build up my brows slowly but surely. Glad to have this one back!

I decided to give the G-lish Powder brush another try since I need a travel sized powder brush in my bag at all times. I've been using this brush for a few times now and I think I'm gonna let this one go again simply because it doesn't pick up product well. I swirl it around my powder compact three to four times, sometimes five for good measure, but once it hits my face it's like I never dipped it in powder at all. Sayang, I thought you were the one. Oh well.

The Urban Decay Shadow brush came with the Naked palette and I remember being disappointed with UD for replacing their dual ended eyeliner pencil with a brush. I tried using it as an eyeshadow brush once but it was rough and stiff; totally not good! But since it *is* a nice looking brush, I decided keep it. Now, I am loving it with cream products, specifically my concealer and Paint Pot! It just blends those suckers easily and effectively. Shantay you stay.

The last brush is one my sister gave to me a few years back. It's The Body Shop Slanted brush, one I had a love-hate relationship with two years ago. Honestly, I still don't know what to do with it. I don't use this as a liner brush because it's big and stiff (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID trolololol) but something's telling me I should keep it for other purposes. Maybe I can use it for creating a lower lashline wing? Or maybe I can use it for cleaning the base of my brows? Or maybe it can help me with details when I get all artsy shmartsy with my EOTDs? Hmm. Guess I'll just have to see!


You May Also Like

0 comments