On Why Blending Sponges > Paddle Foundation Brushes

by - Wednesday, April 06, 2016


Time to convert some peeps.

By now, I think everyone in the beauty world, old or new, pretty much knows how boss of a product a Beauty Blender is. Because of its success, beauty companies all over the world came out with their own version of the sponge, and most of these sponges are relatively cheaper than BB. Personally, I haven't used one before but I know how different it is from the non-BB sponges. I've mentioned before that I love love love Suesh's blending sponges and how I prefer them over BB (Suesh's sponges are quite tougher; BB is really really soft.). I can talk all day about pros and cons of getting an original BB or not but I think I'll save it for later. For now, I'll talk about why blending sponges, original BB or not, trump paddle foundation brushes every. freaking. time. Prepare to be converted after this post. ;)

(Just to be clear though, the blending sponges I'm pertaining to are the ones like BB, you know, the sponges that expand in shape when wet and best used when damp, not the disposable sponges that come in a pack.)


1. Blending sponges soak up excess product instead of just moving it around.
Sponges will be sponges, after all, but that's the beauty of it. If you use a blending sponge with your foundation, you won't end up with the same amount of product you just pumped out of the bottle; at most you end up using 3/4. The remaining 1/4 is in the sponge aka excess product. Wasteful? Maybe, but at least you don't end up with a cakey, cement-like base that takes forever to even out.

2. Sponges really get the product in there.
In your face, I mean. Using the sponge in either a stippling or rolling motion really helps work any face product in the face (or any body part, really), instead of just piling and sweeping the product on top of the skin. Because the product is really worked into the skin, it tends to set faster and feel like second skin.

3. No brush marks, no problem.
Ah, one of the reasons why I hate using paddle foundation brushes is because of the brush marks it leaves on the face. To be honest, dealing with brush marks is more difficult than actual foundation application because the more you try to remove it, the more they multiply. It's a pain in the butt (or hand, tbh) and it's something I'd really rather not deal with. Sponges don't leave any marks at all which is a total winner in my book.

4. If you want an airbrush finish without using an actual airbrush machine, sponges are the way to go.
I guess this is quite related to nos. 2 & 3. Since the product is worked on the skin, the finish is even and flawless, two things you usually get from airbrush. Sponges are like airbrush machines, only they don't need power and they're pretty lightweight.

5. On the go? Grab a sponge.
If you're rushing out and all that but you still want to wear your liquid or cream foundation, sponges pretty much cut base application time in half, well, compared to using a paddle foundation, at least. With sponges, you can just stipple your base away and in no time, you'll have a base so even and thin, you'll wonder why you even bothered with paddle brushes all these years.

BONUS:
6. Do it the Jeffree Star way.
I watch Jeffree Star vids all the time and I pretty much know that he's an avid user of the BB. Other than using it for his base, contour and all, he also uses his BB for setting. Yes, he dips a clean end of the BB on a loose setting powder then sets his makeup! I pretty much remember him saying that everyone has to try it sometime and once I get a loose setting powder, I'll be doing exactly that.


I know some people still use paddle foundation brushes, and I send you no hate! I'm just saying that blending sponges do a better and quicker job than paddle brushes, based on my experience, at least. If paddle brushes are more your forte, then that's totally fine. But I guess I'll never stop campaigning for blending sponges lololol. Hope you like this post and share your experience/s with blending sponges, good or bad, BB or not. Would love some recommendations too! x


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Shaunne, I'd love to read all about the pros & cons to the original BB!! I've wanted one but didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering so I picked up the real techniques sponge. I like that the application & finish is more airbrushed but all I kept thinking was GERMS!!! It freaked me out! However, you're starting to turn me around again! The Suesh sponge sounds great, I like the idea of it being a firmer sponge & quite like that it's flat.

    The Mirror Affects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! :)

      Thing is, I don't own an original BB so I can't really give you an in-depth BB review. :)) Having said that, I'm no stranger to it either as I've encountered the sponge in several occasions ie. work and regular visits to Sephora. I can tell you some things I know though. The original BB is really, really soft. Like, it squishes in no time. The non-BB sponges are quite tougher and in a way, a little rougher. It's all about personal preference but the effect is the same: a nice, even airbrush finish.

      About the germ issue, I gotta say, I think about it too! What keeps me going is the routine I do. Before I use the sponge, say a day or night before actual use, I make sure to give it a little wash. Antibacterial soap + warm water always does the trick. After using the sponge, I use a cleaning liquid that's stronger than antibacterial soap. That pretty much makes me not cringe every time I think about germs. :)

      Thank you for dropping by! Hope you give sponges another try. :)

      PS. If you're not that keen on ordering a BB, try their minis, the yellow-green ones. They're not for the face but they're amazing for the undereye and hard to reach areas. ;)

      Delete