Trying Out The Beauty Department's Waterline Trick

by - Wednesday, June 08, 2016

It's so stupidly easy and effective.


For the longest time, I've always wondered how to remedy a not so perfect waterline fill. Lining the waterline is something that's essential especially for smokey eyes because it adds a lot of drama and intensity to the look. There's just something missing when the waterline is not filled when rocking a smokey eye, no?


I don't line my waterline on a daily basis because I couldn't be bothered. I line it sometimes when I do my EOTD posts but that's it. But it still bothers me because when I do other people's makeup, sometimes the waterline isn't just intense. It's too slippery for the product to really stick and before the whole makeup session is over, the waterline's messed up you have to reapply product again. So when I saw The Beauty Department's post about a trick that'll make your waterline fill more intense, I instantly wanted to try it out. No harm in trying, right?

All you'll need is a cotton bud and your trusty liner. In the TBD post, they used a kohl pencil but I used a long lasting product instead because kohls just smudge everywhere and they don't really set that much. My liner of choice was the Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner in LWL-01 Deepest Black. This is the pencil I use every time I have to line the waterline because among the pencils I have, this one sticks the most.

 "Swipe a q-tip along the waterline to dry it."

That is pretty much the hack. All you have to do is dry your waterline! How did I not think of that? That way, the waterline isn't too wet and the product will glide and cling better!  *mindblown*

I took these photos right after I applied my liner. The application was easier and faster, and it's definitely more pigmented than when you apply liner to a moist waterline. Make sure to apply liner right after drying the waterline because this is the period when it's the most tacky. The liner will glide easier, you can build the intensity with ease, and it's much more pigmented and solid.

Now I know what you're thinking? How will it fare once the waterline's moist again? Well, I left the liner on for 30 minutes to see how it will look. I didn't reapply or touch it, but I did try squeezing my eyes together to see if there'll be a lot of product transfer. Here are the result/evidence!
You can see how the outer corner has little to no product left and that's understandable because it was the area to first moisten/tear up. As for the rest of the liner, it's not that solid anymore but there's still a good amount of product left. Product transfer isn't too much that everything stuck on the upper waterline. Overall, everything's pretty good, if you ask me.

So did it work? Yes, it really did! The post was mainly application, like a how-to to achieve an intense fill in the waterline and for me, it worked. Application of liner on a dry-ish waterline was really easy and by doing this extra step, I was able to have a very pigmented waterline. This will really come in handy in shoots, or when I'm doing an EOTD. I now have more than enough time to shoot without worrying whether my waterline fill is patchy or fading. Is it a step that will make your waterline fill last for an entire day? No. You'll still need to reapply or use a stronger product like a gel liner for it to stay put on the waterline. Guess there's a new trick up my sleeve, thanks to TBD! x

You May Also Like

0 comments