No Meat Mondays: Eggplant & Chickpea Curry

by - Monday, September 03, 2018


Spicy + tangy: my kind of curry.


 Aside from tofu, a can of chickpeas is a must-have in my personal pantry. You can do a ton of things with chickpeas and the best part is that a can doesn't cost a fortune and is pretty much available in every supermarket. Chickpeas are rich in protein (apparently 19g of protein per 100g of chickpeas) and since they don't have a distinct, strong flavor, they can be incorporated in pretty much any dish you can think of.

So for today's NOM recipe, I have a curry dish! This is pretty easy to make but oh so delicious. And did I mention also filling? Seriously, one portion is enough to get you through lunchtime, even I was shocked. The ingredients of this dish are easy to find and it is pretty much an affordable dish to make. You can always double the recipe or even add other veggies or other proteins in it. And trust me when I say this: this is either best with rice or with naan.

Oh, and before I forget: the juice of either a lime, a lemon, or in this recipe, a couple of calamansi, is crucial to this dish. It just adds a bit of a pop and it helps cut the richness of the coconut milk. I know this isn't a traditional curry ingredient but I find that it brings a whole new flavor to the dish. Thank me laterrr. 

Enjoy!



EGGPLANT & CHICKPEA CURRY
(adapted from DelsCookingTwist.com)
YIELD: 1-2 servings

3/4 c canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed (option to remove skins)
1 medium eggplant, cubed (about 1")
1/4 of a red onion, diced
1 1/2 T olive oil
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
200ml unsweetened coconut milk* (or heavy cream)
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or curry paste)
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry roasted before grinding **
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon paprika
juice of two calamansi fruits***
salt & pepper, to taste

1. Prep your ingredients: wash and cube the eggplant; drain, rinse and skin the chickpeas; and combine the spices.

2. Heat up oil in a pan then add in the onions and eggplants. Cook on low to medium heat for 5 minutes or until the eggplant cubes are already 80% soft.

3. Add in garlic and saute until fragrant. Add in a bit olive oil if necessary.

4. Add in the chickpeas and the spice mix. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.

5. Pour coconut milk to pan then simmer for about 4-5 minutes. If the curry becomes too thick, add in a splash of water to loosen it up.

6. Add in calamansi juice.

7. Adjust according to taste. Add more salt, pepper, and more spices if needed.
8. Serve with rice or naan.

NOTES 
* I used powdered coconut milk for this one since I've always wanted to experiment with it. For this recipe, I used 2 Tbsp +1 tsp coconut milk powder then diluted it in about 1/2 c of water. I added an additional 1/4 c water when I found the sauce too thick.
** You can use always ground cumin powder. Same measurement.
*** Use the juice of half a lime in place of calamansi.

You May Also Like

0 comments