Bake & Munch: Cheese and Parsley Muffins

by - Sunday, November 28, 2021

 


Mmm cheese.

Thought of trying something new today! So far, all B&M recipes I've featured are all sweet ones so for today, I'll be featuring the first savory B&M recipe! I absolutely love cheese muffins but the cheese muffins I'm used to are the sweet-salty ones. Cheese is such a versatile ingredient so I thought starting with it is a good way of trying out something savory. After all, who hates cheese?

These muffins are definitely savory ones. They're pretty much cheesy and salty, herby with a little bit of spice notes. They're quite the opposite of the cheese muffins I'm used to! I have to admit, it took me a little while to decide whether I like them or not but after a couple muffins, I decided that I quite like them, especially when I put some sweet and tart jam on top. (I added some rhubarb jam and they're fab!) I have a few adjustments in mind but this recipe is already good on its own.

They're also ones that are best eaten when freshly baked- warm and cheesy on the inside and just overall delish. You can also experiment with different cheeses; I bet quezo de bola (edam) would go great in these as well! As long as you're cheese has that sharp and salty taste, it'll be great.

Lastly, let me just address the elephant in the room: yes, my muffins has some dips on the center and that's my bad. I think I may have taken them out a couple minutes earlier so when they were cooling, they sunk. But that's fine! At least they taste good hehe.

Enjoy!



Savory Cheese & Parsley Muffins

(adapted from Imagelicious.com)

Yield: 12


2 cups all purpose flour, sifted before measured

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt (make 1/8t if using salted butter)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon chili powder (you can also use Spanish paprika!)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 egg

1 1/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley


1. Preheat your oven to 350F and line a 12-slot muffin pan with liners.

2. In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients.

3. In another bowl, combine butter, egg, and milk. Mix then slowly pour into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix until just combined.

4. Fold in grated cheese and parsley. Mix until cheese and parsley are well incorporated into the batter.

5. Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

6. Let the muffins cool a bit but enjoy them hot!. 

(Alternatively, you can brush melted butter on top of the muffins right after you take them out of the oven before serving.)


You May Also Like

0 comments