Quad One of Detail Cosmetics' Sunset Dream Eyeshadow Palette

by - Monday, June 06, 2022

 


Q1 of 4.

So remember the Detail Cosmetics Sunset Palette I quickly featured in a haul months ago? Well, I'm going to review/feature it this month! Since the palette has 15 shades, instead of making one very long post about it, I figured I might as well break it down to 4 parts. Every Monday of June, I'll be reviewing 4 shades (a quad) in this palette with accompanying 2 eye looks. This way, I get to play with the shadows and really see how they perform.




First things first, let me quickly introduce the Sunset Dream Eyeshadow Palette (P599). Detail Cosmetics describes this palette as a "well curated series of shades perfect for any summer makeup look from a natural nude eye look to a full-on vivid glam".  It is inspired by sunsets in summertime and is meant to mimic "ombre sunsets, dreamy golden hour sunrays, & shimmering sands."  This palette has 15 shades: 4 are metallics, 2 are foils, 8 are satins, and 2 are mattes.


For today's quad, I thought I'd start with the most familiar and easy one, the quad I call the basic bitch's nude quad featuring the following shades:

Dusk (a matte chocolate milk)

Solstice (a satin barley white)

Solar (a satin cocoa)

Morrow (a metallic honey bronze)


As I mentioned above, there's two eye looks in every quad, just so I can really play with the shades and see how they perform no matter where I put them. Here's look 1, featuring only the shadows:

I used Solstice as my base and overall lid to brow bone wash, Dusk as my crease color, Solar as my outer corner shade, and Morrow on the lid.


Here's look two:

In look two, I used other products. I used Colourette's Colourtint in Jordyn as a base, followed by Solar as my lid color, as well as in my lower lashline, Dusk is still my crease shade, Solstice as my brow bone and inner corner highlight, and Morrow on the center of my lid.


Now let's deep dive in each shadow, shall we?

So let's start with Solstice. Solstice is a really good shadow as an overall lid wash. It actually reminds me of Urban Decay's Kinky, a shadow I also use as a base and lid wash. Solstice is quite smooth and soft to the touch and it blends quite well. It's not as opaque as Kinky so you have to layer it a few times for a punchier opacity. I also like it as a subtle highlight.

My rating: ☀☀☀☀☀


Dusk is a cool toned brown that I absolutely love as a crease shade. It's that subtle brown that's so easy to use and blend out and gives the crease depth without looking too intense. It reminds me a bit of Urban Decay's Naked 2 combined with Faint, only Dusk is more cool-toned. Again, it could be more opaque but I like that it's easy to blend out and that it's not powdery.

My rating: ☀☀☀☀☀


Solar is another satin but it's one my freaking obsessed with! For starters, yes, it totally looks like cocoa powder haha! I actually like its warm tone and yes, one that I'll totally wear on my lids. Solar was so easy to layer and blend out and it's more pigmented that the first two shadows (although again, it could use more pigmentation). I also had no issues with it as my outer corner shade. Solar may be another basic brown but it's an essential one, you know?

My rating: ☀☀☀☀


Morrow is the only metallic shadow in this quad and it didn't disappoint. It is a beautiful golden-bronzey shadow that's perfect for a little eyelid glow. On the pan, it looks similar to Urban Decay's Smog but when swatched and used, it looks more similar to Half Baked. Again, it has medium opacity but I bet it'll look more intense when foiled. But I think it's great for daytime use since it's not too bright and intense.

My rating: ☀☀☀.5☀☀


Final thoughts: I'm glad these 4 shadows are included in this palette because they're familiar, go-to shadows for a quick eye look, you know? They're easy to work with and easy to use with the other shadows in this palette. I think the standouts in this quad are Solar and Morrow since they're more pigmented and intense. I didn't experience any fallout with these shadows and they're not powdery as well which is good. Not bad, quad one, not bad!

See you next Monday for quad 2!


You May Also Like

0 comments