Active Recap: Quad XXI

by - Monday, January 06, 2020


21.


Welcome to Active Recap, where I talk/share/review the workout vids I did for the last four days. Please refer to this post to know a bit more about Active Recap and my workout format and sched.

Love,
S









DAY A




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GTB5A3TftQ&t=1808s

Opening glute day with a barre(less!) routine! I thought I'd skip the HIIT and the plyos and do something I haven't done in a while: a barre-inspired routine! Even though this routine doesn't involve a barre, the use of a resistance band helped set the tone and intensity of this workout. You all know how much I love bands so this was pretty exciting for me.

This routine has a lot banded of squats, pulses, and holds so it pretty much gave me the glute burn I wanted and expected. I used a medium band throughout and lemme tell you, it was something. The good thing about this routine was that it not only worked my glutes, it also gave my arms and core a good beating. This routine can be done twice through (if you still haven't had enough) and can be done with or without resistance bands. But if I were you, I'd definitely go with because resistance bands don't fail burning the glutes.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dGc9vKQ-m8

A quick glute burner to wrap up this day! I absolutely love doing quick pilates routines and this is such a great burner because it's sort of an isometric routine, targeting one particular muscle: the glutes. This routine has a bit of LI cardio but most exercises are toning ones. Using a light dumbbell on the mat exercises definitely boosted their intensity so I definitely recommend! This gave me that last push I needed for glute day and was a great partner to the first routine. Booty burn fest!!


Workout duration: around 44 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up not included; short cool down included.




DAY B




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxP-j7nOlIY

Day 2 of glutes! First circuit is definitely a great glute activator/warm up extension. First off, it starts with bridges, the greatest glute activator in my opinion. I like that there are only five moves in this routine but it feels longer because you do each exercise on each leg for the same amount of time. No switching sides in the middle of the workout; you do each move for 30 seconds on one leg before switching, so that makes sure the each glute cheek gets worked and burned. I absolutely love that the sole plyo move is done last- definitely gave me that heart-pumping cardio I needed! Now you can do this routine twice through (making it 4 rounds in total) but as I did it only once because I decided to channel all my energy for the main routine.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzTdEZuW_o

Whoa, this routine though!! I legit didn't expect this routine to be so...legit. This routine gave my glutes that delicious burn and shake. Like, wow. This just proves that sometimes, you don't need all those fancy equipment- you just need a damn good routine to make your glutes fire up. Like the Barre(less) routine, this has a lot of pulses and holds but this routine's, like, a level or two higher. In a nutshell, I think this burns more intensely because you pretty much do the exercises back to back (about 8 exercises) on each leg(!!) before taking a short break. If that doesn't burn your glutes and legs, I don't know what will! Not gonna lie, the first superset was the one I found the most challenging- that made my glutes scream at me! And for a burnout, you get to do 3 rounds of butterfly bridges + holds. BURN CITY I tell you.

Now if you're addicted to the burn, you'll do this whole entire circuit twice- just like I did. :)


Workout duration: around 52 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up not included; cool down stretch included.




DAY C




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrL9iZ6BUh8

Upper body day 1! To make this an almost complete upper body day, I decided to do a routine that targets 4 areas in one go, just to make everything efficient, you know? I enjoyed this routine because the format was new to me: 15 - 12 - 10 - 8. For the 15 and 12 reps, you use a light-medium pair of weights while for the 10 and 8 reps, you go for a heavier pair. Even though you pretty much do the same set for 4 rounds, I didn't really get irritated or bored because the change of weights and reps kept me on my toes. The 10s and 8s were really good burnouts while the 15s and 12s were great intros. I also liked that this routine can be done without the ball and still give you same intensity. Totally recommend!

PS. I got sore triceps from this routine. Owwie!




Day D




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4dA4S2HcE

Let's work the back again but this time, let's add in shoulders! This routine has a short warm up but honestly, I really liked that there was a shoulder and back activation! 2 rounds of banded exercises that really helped wake up and prep the needed muscles- so good. There are two rounds of the main routine and I switched back and forth between a pair of light and medium dumbbells. It's pretty much a breeze once you start the main routine so make sure you do the first round with the heavier pair of dumbbells and dropset for the second round. After completing the two rounds, I went on and did it again, making it a total of 4. Super worth it and now my shoulders and back (but mostly my shoulders) are sore (and that's on top of my already sore triceps!).


Workout duration: around 59 minutes, with 1 minute rest in between circuits; warm up + activator and cool down stretch included.



NOTE:
I'm playing with yet another workout format and this quad is 2 days glutes, 2 days upper body. And you know what? I think I like this format! I think it's because I really get to work on a sole part of the body and burn it to the max before moving on to another. The only thing I need to tweak is the lack of cardio. I feel incomplete with cardio so I might add in a quick one next time. The next quad is 2 days legs, 2 days core so we'll see how it'll go haha!



MY TOP WORKOUT IN THIS QUAD:
I highly recommend doing HEATHER ROBERTSON The Best At Home Booty Workout for that glute burn and TRACY STEEN 40 Minute Back and Bi's, Chest and Tri's for upper body!

You May Also Like

0 comments