Last Year's Europe Trip: Assisi

by - Thursday, May 28, 2020


Day three.



DAY THREE: ASSISI

Today we said goodbye to Rome (well, more of a see you later as per Trevi Fourntain coin toss tradition) and embarked to our next destination: Assisi. Honestly, I don't know much about the place itself so I was pretty excited to see it. The weather that morning was my cup of tea: blue skies, sun out, and a chilly temperature. Best combo ever.

Before heading to the churches, we roamed the area for a while, checking out shops, and me and my parents grabbed a quick bite. Here are some photos!


The food shops in Siena are a delight to check out because they offer a variety of things you can nibble on: cold cuts, pastries, local delicacies, wine, and even gelato! Here's a few food pics I took:
My €5 lunch: a ham and cheese panini and a can of Coke at the Hotel Il Castello! I looooove how this place is quaint but cosy and warm. The lady at the shop was also very friendly and welcoming! She heated up our paninis while we settled on a table.

  For dessert, I settled on a famous Italian pastry: a pistachio cannoli! Not gonna lie, this one I had was a tad too sweet for me but yummy just the same. I think this was only €2.50.

After roaming around, it's finally time to head to the basilica. The Basilica di San Francesco d'Assisi or the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi is a papal minor basilica built in honor of St. Francis of Assisi. It has two 2 churches, an Upper and Lower church, and crypt where St. Francis' remains are interred. We were able to go to the crypts but if I remember correctly, photo-taking is not allowed (that, or I just didn't take photos at all).
On the way to the next basilica! Photo credit: Fr. Ferdinand Delatado

We also saw the Temple of Minerva, an ancient Roman building built in 1st century BC. It has a church inside, the Santa Maria sopra Minerva, although I didn't personally see it since we didn't go inside. 


The next basilica on the list is the Basilica di Santa Chiara or Basilica of Saint Clare, a church dedicated to St. Clare of Assisi, the founder of the Order of Poor Ladies. Her remains, as well as here sister's, St. Agnes of Assisi, are interred here. Again, no photos on the inside of the church, just the facade.


The last basilica we went to was the Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli or the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels. It is a papal minor basilica located at the foot of a hill in Assisi. It is also where the Porziuncola, a small church where the Franciscan movement, is located.
The Porziuncola. Photo by dad.


That afternoon, we headed to our next destination: Siena. Siena's welcome to us that night was chilly and rainy af but that didn't distract me from admiring Siena's beauty. But more of Siena on my next post. I'm ending with the post with our dinner in Siena.

You May Also Like

0 comments