Last Year's Europe Trip: Rome

by - Tuesday, May 26, 2020



Day two, part two.




DAY TWO: ROME (PT. 2)

Since this day was a Sunday, we headed back to St. Peter's Square to attend Pope Francis' mass/papal blessing. It rained so hard that time and the square was packed full of tourists and devotees but it was still a very elating and spiritual experience. It made me feel that the Catholic faith is still very much alive. I didn't have any photos of the mass, save for 1 very zoomed in photo of the Pope. Sorry. :P

Here's also a couple of photos I took during the ride to the Vatican plus what I had for lunch (spoiler alert: same as yesterday). 


 

Our next stop: the Colosseum, the most famous amphitheater in Rome. It was constructed in 72 AD and completed in 80 AD. Made from travertine limestone, volcanic rock, and brickfaced concrete, this amphitheater was used for gladiator battles, executions, plays, and chariot races and could hold 50,000-80,000 people.

We weren't able to go inside (again, insane number of tourists!) so now, I've made it a life goal to go in the next time I set foot in Rome. When? Who effin knows but I promise you, I will see the inside of the Colosseum and strut my stuff ala Villanelle. But for now, I'll settle for the exterior. 


Next landmark we saw was the Arch of Constantine, just walking distance from the Colosseum. The Arch is between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill and a commemoration of Constantine the Great's victory at the Battle of Milvian Bridge. It is the largest triumphal arch in Rome and is made of brickfaced concrete retained by marble.


Last stop: Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura or Papal Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. This Basilica was built under the rule of Emperor Constatine I and over the burial place of Saint Paul. It is also one of Rome's major papal basilicas. The remains of St. Paul and tomb are located in the basilica's crypt a few feet below the altar. It was also where we had our group's mass.
 
Photo credit: Fr. Ferdinand Delatado








You May Also Like

0 comments