Poppin' Satin: Rimmel Stay Satin Liquid Lipstick in Rad

by - Wednesday, July 14, 2021


 

For a statement lip.


Fun fact: the last lippie review I posted here was back in February 13, 2020, a few weeks before the pandemic heightened and lockdown happened here in the Philippines. It was Detail Cosmetics' matte lippie in Loth, a nice caramel brown. That was pretty much the last time I wore and even reviewed a lippie. Since masks became a requirement, I found it useless to wear a lipstick. Come to think of it, the rest of 2020 was pretty much a no-makeup time for me, not because I didn't love wearing it anymore but because I became interested in other things, like baking and learning a new language and working out. Makeup didn't spark that much joy for me in 2020 and that's why the beauty posts were sparse last year. The fact that I didn't even do my 27th birthday lippie post last year is a travesty for me now that I think about it but a much needed break for me then. (Not to worry though, I'll have one this year.) 

So welcome to the first lippie review of 2021! I made sure to feature a lippie that ticks all the boxes for me: ☑ a non nude/MLBB shade, ☑bold , ☑bright, and ☑fun. Oh, and it's a liquid lip because surprise, I'm not over them yet!

This is the Stay Satin Liquid Lipstick line by Rimmel. Rimmel's site describes the Stay Satin lippies as:

- Unbelievably lightweight liquid lipstick that feels comfortable on lips 

- Intense, high-pigment colour in a spectrum of stand-out shades 

- Smooth, satin shine finish to take it back to the old school 

- Long-lasting lipstick that stays in place for up to eight hours


The line has 14 shades, a good mix of MLBBs, pinks, reds, and even 2 unconventional colors, a periwinkle and a gray. (Not gonna lie, sorta digging the gray one!)

Packaging is simple but cute and definitely purse-friendly. Just like the Colourpop liquid lippies, they come with an angled doe foot applicator that's significantly bigger than Colourpop's.  

The one I have is RAD, a shade that I can't accurately describe. Some reviews describe it as dark red but honestly, I see it as a bold deep reddish pink. I see it like Colourpop More Better's warmer, redder cousin that's less magenta-y and leans more on the redder side. But it's not just me who sees the pink hue in this shade right?? Or is my eyesight getting worse?? All I know is that between Rad and Redical, I can 100% say that Redical is the red one between the two and Rad is the shade that's totally up my alley.

I absolutely love the formula of this liquid lip. It goes on smoothly and not at all patchy, not to mention quite opaque in one coat. True to its name, Rad doesn't dry down to a full matte but it also doesn't maintain its shininess. I notice that once it "sets", the finish becomes similar to a velvet soft matte but maintains its feel on the lips: comfy, lightweight, and non drying. It's actually like wearing a tube lippie, only in liquid form.

Because it doesn't dry down, don't expect it to not transfer or smudge. It works just like a regular bullet lippie that needs to be retouched at some point in the day. Oh, and this is definitely not mask-friendly because it will transfer AND stain.

Though it stains, I do quite like the fact that it's so easy to remove. I thought it would require heavy duty removers to take it off but like a regular lippie, I can get away with just plain tissues. Rad leaves a stain on the lips but it's something I don't mind, unless I need my lips to be a blank canvas. Otherwise, it's a breeze to wipe off.

Overall, I think that the Stay Satin formula is very nice and workable. It's comfortable on the lips and has really great opacity, but above all I like the fact that it doesn't crack and dry out my lips. That's like the worst thing with matte liquid lippies, you know? But not with this one. My advice is that don't treat it like a liquid lip and expect it to work like one because it just won't. Think of it as a liquified satin bullet lipstick and use it like one. Do that and you'll quite enjoy this lippie- just like I do!

You May Also Like

0 comments