Panda Pau. Wait, what?

by - Friday, August 08, 2014

This post consists of some of the things I love: Singapore, River Safari, pandas, and food.


 River Safari's one of the favorite places I love going to when I'm in Singapore. I like how cool and more relaxed it is than Singapore Zoo. I also like that it's not as big as the zoo because seriously that place is exhausting to explore. But I think the ultimate reason why I love going to River Safari is because they have something I adore so much: pandas.

I love pandas. I cannot stress how much I love them. They're big and technically still wild but all I want to do is cuddle and give them a bear hug. In fact, one of the things in my imaginary bucket list is to hold and hug one (which is possible btw. I saw a travel show where the host was able to hold, hug, and feed a toddler panda. So cute. Quite expensive though, but possible!).

Anyway, since all I could do for now is look at them from afar, I'd settle for something that's more accessible...and tasty. Thing is, there's a cafe right after the panda shop that sells something cute and unique.

 I've been to River Safari twice and both times I ate panda paus. To be honest, I really didn't care what they tasted like the first time I saw them; I just really wanted to buy them cause they're cute. Like really, how often do you see paus that look like panda heads? Thank goodness for Mama Panda Kitchen indeed. Also, how cute are the chairs!!

These were what I ate on my first visit when I was my uncle's tour guide during his trip. I got both flavors, red bean and chocolate, and a mango custard dessert. Can I just say that ordering both is essential? Especially on your first time. My favorite flavor is definitely chocolate. I'm not a big fan of chocolate-flavored anything most of the time but I really liked this one. Since they give you paus that are freshly steamed, the chocolate was hot and rich. Oh my, so good! The red bean was okay but it could improve. Lastly, I say skip the mango custard thingy.

My uncle's cup of coffee. Cutie panda art!

The second time I visited was with my parents. We ate lunch hence the savory food. Yep, they have other food if you're looking for something heavier. If I remember correctly, this was one of their set meals (paus weren't included though). And yes, there's the dreaded mango custard again. :))

Don't forget to buy drinks too! Mama Panda Kitchen serves their drinks in this adorable panda cups. This definitely trumps the Starbucks plastic cups imo. :)) But really, do get yourself one because you only get it for S$4 and you get to take it home. Tada, useful souvenir!

If you get a chance, try the panda paus. They're love in a bamboo steamer.

Ending this post with my spirit animal!

You May Also Like

0 comments