What I/to Do with Products in the Meh Pile

by - Wednesday, March 02, 2016


We've all had a few bad eggs in our stash.

Imagine purchasing a lipstick or a concealer you've always had your eye on. You saved up for it, you've read reviews, you're convinced, and you finally caved in. You get home, you try it, you tell yourself it looks good when deep inside you just know something's off. You know that lipstick's not as good as everyone says but you tell yourself it's gorgeous anyway because you don't want to admit you just wasted money. Oh well.

BUT HOLD UP. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it's off to the bin. I, myself, love purchasing things I see on a whim. Not all the time, but sometimes you just can't help it, you know. A little concealer here, a new bottle of nail polish there. Not everything I purchase turns out impressive so here's what I do with those things to get my money's worth.


BLOG ABOUT IT. I can't help it hihi. Some bloggers "hate" the idea of posting negative reviews but I think it should be done. Beauty blogging isn't all about good reviews and artsy shots; beauty blogging should cover everything, including the bad bits. Blogging about a product that didn't work for you can help consumers and other beauty enthusiasts decide whether a product is worth buying or not. I don't sugarcoat my reviews. If it didn't work, it didn't work and I'll tell you why. Here are the pros and cons; now it's up to you whether to buy the product or not.

PASS 'EM ON. If the product, specifically a foundation, a concealer, or a powder, is not a match for me shade-wise, I pass it to someone who I think will match. If it's lighter, I either pass it to my mom, sister, or cousins who are paler than me. If I think the nail polish shade is too warm, I pass it on, give it as a gift to someone else. This way, the product you have on hand doesn't go to waste. A little note though: if the product's open and/used even just once, don't give it to a total stranger. Please.


RECYCLE. Say your concealer didn't really do a good job at concealing but it's brightening. What do you do with it aside from throwing it out? Well my friend, you can try using it as a highlighter. Eyeshadow's too pale and glittery for your taste? Use it to glam up your lips by dabbing a little bit on the center. Point is, find another use for the product. Some products really do a shitty job sometimes but function great when used at other areas. Experiment around so the product you have isn't gathering dust at the back of your makeup stash. In fact, I think I'll be experimenting with eyeshadow pigments and clear nail polish soon. We'll let you know how it goes! :)

SAVE IT FOR LATER. Some products work well when used at the right place and time. If the perfume you excitedly got smells a bit heavy for summer, maybe you can use it next season. If the shade of lipstick you purchased looks too dark for now, maybe it's the perfect product to top off your Halloween costume. All things has their own time, I guess.


Hopefully this gives you some ideas on how to prolong that meh product you have sitting in your stash. Sometimes it's all about improvising, you spent money after all. So go find ways to make that meh product function! All it takes is a little creativity. :)

You May Also Like

0 comments