Bake & Munch: Gingerbread Oatmeal Blondies

by - Sunday, May 23, 2021


 

My fave flavor in bar form.


I love anything gingerbread-flavored. The combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves creates such a wonderful flavor that's just warm, spicy, and comforting, not to mention it reminds me so much of my favorite season: Christmas! Though I don't usually bake with this flavor because my parents aren't big gingerbread fans, when I do, I make sure it's yummy and easy. 

Today's recipe combines my two fave things: gingerbread and oats! This blondie recipe, I'd say, is a cross between a blondie bar and an oatmeal energy bar/ball (minus the protein powder, of course). So maybe a more indulgent energy bar? I just love the chewiness and softness of these blondies, plus the gingerbread flavor is prominent but not overpowering. I absolutely love making this because it just makes me happy! The oats definitely help elevate the bars and the gingerbread blend complements the oats really well. As I've said, chewy and warm and bright: what's not to like?

A few quick reminders: it may be a bit sweet for some so you can definitely decrease the sugar to 2/3 or even 1/2 cup, but if you find the 3/4 cup is not enough, feel free to make it 1 full cup. The oats I used here are quick-cook. I haven't tried using rolled oats with this recipe so I can't vouch for it, so maybe just stick with quick-cook and reserve your rolled oats for another recipe (like the Breakfast Oatmeal and Chocolate Chips Muffins!). Also, don't use instant oats.

Enjoy!



Gingerbread Oatmeal Blondies

(adapted from BakingBites.com)


1/2 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

3 tablespoons molasses

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 c all purpose flour

1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts but you can also use pecans, cashews, or macadamias)


1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8" square pan with baking paper.

2. In a bowl, combine flour, oats, the spices, and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.

3. In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

4. Add in egg, molasses, vanilla. Beat until just combined. 

5. Add in the flour mixture into the butter-egg bowl. Beat until well-combined.

6. Fold in chopped nuts. At this point, the batter should be a bit dense.

7. Pour batter into the lined pan and bake for 30-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

8. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!


You May Also Like

0 comments