Java Jabber: The Bag of Arabica from Region XII

by - Sunday, May 16, 2021


 Medium-roast goodness.

Hello hello! For today's Java Jabber, I'll be talking about coffee coming all the way from Mindanao, specifically Sultan Kudarat.

Here in Luzon, it's pretty easy to find beans from, well,  provinces here in Luzon. Beans from Batangas, Benguet, Kalinga, and Mt. Province, for example, are quite common in physical and online shops, thus making them easy to find and purchase. I started with these beans (Arabica from Sagada is my fave!) when the coffee bug bit me and they're the ones I go back to because they're familiar and comforting.

However, from time to time, I like to be adventurous to try coffee from other regions or countries as well. Locally, I've always wanted to try coffee from Bukidnon, Davao del Sur, South Cotabato, and Sultan Kudarat- coffees from the south. They're not always available in stores so I always get interested whenever I see them pop up.

Today, I get to try Arabica from Sultan Kudarat, thanks to Isulan-based online shop, Kape Dalisay.

Kape Dalisay offers three coffee variants in their shop: Arabica, Robusta, and Balai Blend. I decided to go single-origin Arabica because I thought it was the best one to start with. Their Arabica is described as medium-dark roast with a balanced flavor, rich aroma and smooth body.

Cute handwritten note I got in my package!

If compared to Ursula and Hela Bonor, this Arabica is definitely the lightest of the bunch. I prefer my coffee beans dark roast so I find this a bit light for my taste. However, I do find that the coffee I get from it is smooth and easy to drink. It has a slight acidity to it but not as full-on as Ursula. 

I also use this for my cold brew and my usual measurement (14g) yields a batch of a light-bodied coffee, perfect for an afternoon pick me up that gives me that jolt of energy but still makes me fall asleep easily 7 hours later.

I think my issue with its medium roast is that the coffee taste can get lost once other components get mixed in. It somehow gets lost and overpowered by the milk even though its the same measurement I put in all my coffees. I don't know but sometimes, I feel like I'm drinking milk with coffee rather than coffee with milk, if you get what I mean. Even with my moka pot, the coffee that comes out feels medium-bodied. As someone who's used to dark roasts and full-bodied coffee, this can feel and taste a bit weaker than usual.

Overall, this Arabica may be a bit weak for me but may be just right for those who aren't into dark roast coffee that yield a strong tasting cup. I'm quite intrigued about Kape Dalisay's other two offerings so I think I might try that sometime in the future. For Php249 for a pack of 250g beans, I'd say it's reasonably priced, considering it's all the way from Mindanao.

You May Also Like

0 comments