Java Jabber: The Smooth Arabica My Moka Pot Loves

by - Sunday, April 18, 2021


The perfect Moka pot match.


Welcome back to a brand new episode of Java Jabber, where I talk about the coffees I buy in a totally non-professional way. Haha! Hope you were able to read the first one but if not, feel free to click here.

Today's feature is not local coffee but rather a foreign one. I received this as one of my presents from my sister (click here for a Christmas coffee haul) and I gotta say, this one's for keeps.

Since my sister got me a Moka pot for Christmas, she told me she thought it'd be best if the coffee she got me in Ikea is for a moka pot too. Hence, she got me the PÅTÅR Espresso Hela Bönor. According to descriptions online, it is 100% Arabica that is "a rich and intense dark coffee with notes of sweet fruits." Apparently it rates 3 in acidity and 5 in both body and roast.

I love that IKEA's coffees' origins can be traced. Through UTZ Certified's tracer, I was able to know that this particular bag that I have was actually sourced from Nicaragua! I think this is such a cool way to know more about the product you have.

I've tried quite a few local beans with my Moka pot and all of them produced sour coffee, not great on its own but great with milk and sugar. But lo and behold, PÅTÅR Espresso Hela Bönor is a different one: this is the type of coffee you can absolutely enjoy on its own. The coffee I got from it has a bit of sourness, yes, but it's really more like an afterthought. I swear, I was surpised! The coffee was dark but not burnt and it is full-bodied and just silky and smooth and delectable. Plus, it really does jolt me awake! 

Since the PÅTÅR Espresso Hela Bönor is pure Arabica, it's really nice to blend it with Ursula as it balances and lessens Ursula's bitterness and in their combo produces such a nice well-balanced cup of strong coffee. Heaven!

Really love this bag of beans and I highly suggest you try it if you can. It's such a good find, and so Moka pot friendly too! Can't wait to be able to go to an IKEA again and hoard it (and get the other variants!). :P 


You May Also Like

0 comments