Back to (Brow) Basics: Colourette Cosmetics Brow Bestie in Espresso

by - Saturday, August 06, 2022

 


Brow down.

You can never have too much brow products, am I right?

I feel like I haven't bought or tried a new brow product in forever because I'm pretty much content with my current one- Colourpop's Brow Pomade in Cool Cocoa. It gives me everything I need in a brow product: pigment and longevity. Brow pomades takes practice to use but they're worth the trouble once you get used to them. That's why I can't stop using mine!

Having said that, you all know how I can't resist a new brow product release, especially when it's from a brand I adore. So here I am with a new brow product to share with you all. Here I have one of Colourette's new products: the Brow Bestie!


Brow Bestie is part of Colourette's new collection, the Beginner's Club, where products are designed to be beginner-friendly and newbie-proof. Aside from the Brow Bestie, the other beginner-friendly product is Colourbalm Dew, a clear color-changing gloss. I decided to go with Brow Bestie because 1). I like brow products, and 2). Brow products are just my jam, as simple as that. 

The Brow Bestie contains 0.3 grams of product and is cruelty-free.


Brow Bestie's packaging is very on-brand for Colourette. The bright orange tube (pen? casing?) is really eye-catching and it just makes the product easy to find once I have it mixed with my other makeup products. This pen is definitely chunkier than your usual skinny brow pens but it was still easy to grip and use. The Brow Bestie also comes with a spoolie, something I really appreciate because I cannot do my brows without a spoolie. Spoolie is a must-have always!


Brow Bestie comes in 2 shades: Mocha, a light brown with a slight red undertone, and Espresso, a deeper neutral brown. I only got Espresso because it's the shade that'll go well with my black hair. Mocha would look too light and brown on me and better with those who have lighter or colored hair.

Espresso is the perfect color for someone like me who has black hair and quite full brows. I never liked using black on my brows so I always reach for a dark brown that's either neutral or cool toned so Espresso checks all the boxes for me, color-wise.



I've been telling you that I'm used to using brow pomades for my brows so in a way, I'm a beginner when it comes to brow pens. I've been testing and feeling this product since I got it and let me tell you, it really is beginner-friendly! 

Unlike other brow pens that deposit full pigment from the get-go, the Brow Bestie has more of a buildable pigmentation. I find it very easy to fill in my brows with the Brow Bestie because it gives me control with how much product I need. 

Also, even though I've put too much, I never end up with an Angry Bird-like, overfilled brows because I can just blend it out since this product doesn't set quickly. Though now that I look back, it's a small problem I have with this product: the fact that it's too blendable? I don't know if it's the brow product itself or the spoolie but I find that if I blend too much or apply a bit of pressure while blending, the product seems to go away/get erased, if that makes sense? So I end up reapplying with more product while reminding myself to not overblend.


This product definitely gives my brows a more naturally-filled in look than my brow pomade which makes it perfect for everyday use. 


The Brow Bestie is deemed to be waterproof and sweatproof but honestly, and it pains me to say this, it's not really as long-lasting as they claim it to be. Sure, it does stay in place, especially if you don't touch your brows but once any liquids, such as water and oils, get involved, it's definitely moving. My face was oiling up the other day so I tested whether Brow Bestie would budge and sadly, it did when I wiped my brows with my fingers. Same with water. However, even though it budges, I like that it looks more like a fade than a complete obvious erasure. You'll still have a bit of color left instead of a huge bald spot. But yeah, when it comes to longevity, my brow pomade wins.

Overall, I can see Brow Bestie being a hit for newbies and Colourette fans. It's a pretty easy brow product to use and it looks very cute and eye-catching. It's great for everyday, an on-the-go product for fuss-free brows. Espresso is a pretty spot on shade for my brows and I appreciate Colourette for having a shade like this for brows. Longevity might be an issue so make sure to either set your brows with brow gel, spray some setting spray, or skip this on days where you'll need a more heavy duty brow product.

Not bad for a back to basics type of product!


You May Also Like

0 comments