The Mascara: Maybelline Volum' Express Hypercurl Cat Eyes

by - Friday, November 22, 2013

I know this product is so two years ago but guys, I've found the one. This is it!!

 I'm absolutely baffled as to why I've used this mascara just now. I remember how amazed I was when I first tried this mascara. It gave me the one thing my other mascaras can't: obvious eyelashes! See, I'm Asian. Being Asian means having short, straight-down lashes. Fortunately, mine aren't that straight-down (you should see my sister's lashes. Hehehe. Hi, Ate! :P) but they're definitely short and very uncurled. I've tried several mascaras in the past from different brands like MAC, Kat Von D, The Body Shop, e.l.f.....nada. But this Maybelline mascara is definitely different.

For one, it has a different brush. Well, instead the usual mascara brush, it has a comb. Ohmygoodness, using the comb is amazeballs! I get to sweep the mascara from the base up to the root, something I can't do with regular mascara brushes. It also helps in separating my lashes so they look fanned and not clumped together.
 I tested this mascara when I was in Singapore. It was the perfect time and place to test this. Singapore's weather is very bipolar. It'll either be very sunny in the morning then really rainy in the afternoon or vice versa. I'll either get wet from the rain or from sweat. Will it stay or will it smudge? Also, can this mascara hold the (artificial) curl of my lashes? Will it smear, flake? How long will this stay? These are the questions I always have in mind when trying a new mascara.
Applied at 2:15 PM. Curled with an eyelash curler before applied.

Taken at 9:09 PM. Almost 7 hours after application.

Um, can we talk about how mind blowing this was? It didn't move. At. All. So with that test, I got my answers.

Will it stay or will it smudge? It freaking stayed. OMG. 
Can this mascara hold the (artificial) curl of my lashes? Yes, it did! *tears*
Will it smear, flake? No, it didn't. Though, I wore this mascara again last Sunday. It did flake a tiny bit because of the afternoon heat. But nothing noticeable. :)
How long will this stay? I'd say it can last for around 10 hours or more. (Yes, there was this one time I wore it for almost 9 hours. It pretty much looked and stayed the same.)

More questions answered:
Did it lengthen the lashes? It helped. It definitely complements eyelash curlers/curled lashes.
Volumize? A bit. It will if you put 2-3 layers but it will clump (just like other mascaras. Duh.)
Ease of use? It was a joy to use. Very user-friendly/makeup newbie-friendly.
Any downside? If you're into cruel free products, this may or may not appeal to you as Maybelline isn't a  cruel free brand. Also I know it's waterproof and all but I just have to say it: it's such a pain to remove! A. PAIN.

Overall, I think this mascara is the BOMB. It's affordable and yet you get so much than what you pay for. (Well, I didn't pay for it since my sister gave this one to me but you know what I mean.) I used to line my eyes most of the time because mascaras aren't my thing but now I skip the liner, use this and I'm ready to go. Such a time saver really.

Last Minute Tips:
When applying mascara, always have a spoolie in hand. Never separate your lashes with the same mascara brush since it will just clump your lashes even more. Apply mascara then "fix" your lashes with your spoolie the way you would with your mascara brush. This will help remove excess mascara from your lashes and will leave you with natural looking fanned out lashes. Also, don't forget to curl your lashes! Unless you already have curled lashes since birth. (I envy you.)

What's the mascara you consider as "the one"?

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Did it really volumize your lashes? Thanks for sharing XD
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really volumize but it did lengthen my lashes! :) x

      Delete