My Current Helix Sparklers

by - Wednesday, November 23, 2016


Ear blings.


In April 2015, I did a very spontaneous thing: I had my cartilage pierced. (I don't know how to properly address the area, as I'm torn between helix and conch, but you'll see on the photos below.) It was something I've always wanted to do but never got around to doing it. So while shopping around in Bugis Street in Singapore, I passed by this jewelry shop where I saw a couple of teens getting their lobes pierced. I felt quite jealous, I kid you not, so I thought, screw this, Imma get one too. But of course instead of my lobes, I got my cartilage done. I originally wanted both ears but held off the other one to gauge how the piercing will go. Best. Decision. Ever.

I got pierced with a gun. See, most people nowadays will tell you that's a very, VERY bad decision and that piercing with a needle is better and safer. But see, where I grew up, piercing guns are so common. So when I saw that a piercing gun will be used for my cartilage, I was okay with it. Thing is, whether or not you use a piercing gun or a needle, cartilage piercings will always be painful, one way or another. There's no escaping the aftermath. I admit, the first week of healing was hell. My ear felt very tender and I felt a constant throbbing in my ear. Baths and showers were excruciating, mainly because of my hair getting snagged on the jewelry. I almost took it off, you guys. But my want for a cartilage piercing was stronger so I left it on, made sure to clean it religiously until it fully healed. One year and a few months later, here we are.

Not gonna lie, it still hurts when the cartilage area gets banged. So I'm still pretty careful when dealing with that area, always making sure it's out of harm's way. But I'm pretty happy to say that it's now better than ever, I can now sleep on my right side without it throbbing like hell, and I can now change the jewelry! All those painful episodes were so worth it.


I currently have three cartilage jewelries in my stash. All three of them were purchased in a shop called Silver.com on the 2nd floor of Bugis Street. It's just across the lone crepe shop in the 2nd floor so if you're interested to check them out, just ask where the crepe shop is and start looking from there. It's where I got my cartilage pierced so I thought it was the right place to buy jewelry I know won't cause any infection to my ear. And so far, they're all great.

Let me start with the very first one I got: the black barbell. This was the one I got a week after my piercing. to replace the stud I got pierced with. That jewelry had a butterfly lock that just keeps on snagging my hair, causing more pain to the ear area. So I got something I know won't snag too much. Again, best decision ever. It was the best jewelry to have during the healing period because it's just there. It won't move, doesn't snag hair, doesn't irritate the pierced area. It was such a fantastic jewelry to have. I wore it religiously, only taking it off when it's time to clean it. Since it's black, it isn't noticeable but still makes my heart flutter when I see it. It's definitely a classic.


The next two jewelries are quite new and they're shiny and totally noticeable. Both are U-shaped, quite like septum jewelry. As you can see, they differ in size. The green/pink earring is a small one. I think this one's the same size as my barbell stud. I love this one because it's cute and metallic and colorful. It's a cute ornament on the ear, one that adds a little more color and shine. Since it's small, it doesn't snag on my hair too much and doesn't cause discomfort when I sleep on my right side. 


The silver one is bigger and I think it's wider than the green/pink hoop. I thought it wouldn't fit because I had a hard time pushing it in but once I stretch the hole a little, it goes right through smoothly. Getting this one was a last minute decision, actually. I had to go back to the shop a day after I got the green/pink hoop to get this. Silver's just classic and it's something I can wear with any outfit. I decided to get a size bigger to have some variation. I already have a small one, why not get a bigger one this time, no? This one is very noticeable and can be seen instantly. My issue with this is that it snags like no other, specially when I'm taking a shower. Hair just loops through easily and can be painful when I try to untangle it. But it's a minor issue and won't change the fact that it looks pretty darn cool.


All of these jewelries have captive bead rings for locks. If you ask me, these are more secure than butterfly locks that tend to loosen over time. So wearing and removing the earrings are a piece of cake. Hoop them on, screw the captive bead ring, BAM you're done. 

Silver.com sells these jelwelries for S$6 a piece. Pricier than your ordinary studs but I think pieces like these are investments. For me, as long as they don't irritate or infect my pierce and/or whole ear, any price is worth it. They have gold, black, silver, green/pink, and they come in a few styles and sizes. So. Good. Hmm, I wonder if I should get a gold one next?...


You May Also Like

0 comments