A Mauve Moment: ColourPop Super Shock Shadow in Tang

by - Thursday, November 17, 2022

 


Purple day.

It has been a hot minute since I last featured a single pan eyeshadow here on the blog. To be fair, single eyeshadows don't seem to be a "thing" anymore? Currently in the local beauty market, I noticed that eyeshadows are either in quads or in palettes and I honestly can't blame them. Palettes are more handy and probably cheaper to produce as compared to single shadows. 

However, foreign/western beauty companies seem to still produce single eyeshadows, Colourpop being one of them. My sister gave me two Super Shock Shadows and I'll be featuring one of them today!


In case you're unfamiliar with this product, let me briefly introduce you to them. Super Shock Shadows are Colourpop's cult-famous creme to powder eyeshadows that have a bouncy and blendable formula and long-wearing pigmentation.

These shadows are cruelty-free and vegan-friendly and contain 2.1grams of product in each pan. A Super Shock Shadow retails for $6.


One of the shadows given to me was Tang, a muted purple mauve. Tang has a warm undertone and it has a matte finish. 

Personally, I tend towards warm tones so a warm purple mauve is new to my collection. It's something new and intriguing to me; plus, I think it'll complement my brown eyes well! 


To be honest, when I first swatched Tang, it made me go "Huh". I was expecting a pigmented, bold, solid swatch but I ended up with sheer first swipe. I had to build the color up to make the swatch stronger on my arm. 

Also, Tang on the pan felt a little hard. It wasn't buttery or creamy like promised. I went to Temptalia's review on this and it confirmed everything I was noticing: that Tang has a semi-opaque payoff (read: has a sheer-medium opacity) and that it feels drier and denser to the touch. 


Here's me wearing Tang on my lids. I applied Tang with a flat eyeshadow brush and it pretty much took me several layers of Tang to get to the opacity that I wanted. Blending out the edges also took time but it wasn't a surprise since matte shadows tend to be stubborn like that. 


Overall, Tang is a good shade but I don't think it has a good formula. It takes time to build up, especially if you apply it on the lids, and can be a bit of a hassle to blend out too. The dense texture can also be quite jarring, especially if you're used to softer, buttery eyeshadows. Tang is a good addition to my stash color-wise but I don't think I'll reach for it on a daily basis. I'll still experiment with it though! I think I can make it work as maybe a liner (maybe with a bit of Fix+) or a shadow to smoke out a liner. If all else fails, maybe I'll just use it as an overall shadow color then dump layers of a shimmery shadow to hide it. Better than to waste it, right?


You May Also Like

0 comments