2011 Ash Wednesday

by - Wednesday, March 09, 2011

   Attended mass because it's a holiday of obligation. I got up at 5:30 am and attended the 6 am mass with my mom. If you're wondering what Ash Wednesday is, according to Wikipedia, 
"(It) derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of repentance. The ashes used are typically gathered after the Palm Crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned. In the liturgical practice of some churches, the ashes are mixed with the Oil of the Catechumens (one of the sacred oils used to anoint those about to be baptized), though some churches use ordinary oil. This paste is used by the minister who presides at the service to make the sign of the cross, first upon his or her own forehead and then on those of congregants."
  This is actually one of my favorite holidays of obligations, and I think it's cool that the ashes came from the burned blessed palms and not just from any burned materials out there. Also, I should do my Christian obligations by observing the traditions of Lent. Though I'm still exempted from fasting (fasting is only for 18 years old and above and luckily I still haven't turned 18), I'm not exempted from abstinence. That includes not eating meat and doing less of the things I usually do everyday (i.e. surfing the Internet). I can do this! *fingers crossed  





Have a meaningful Ash Wednesday and Lent, everyone!

You May Also Like

0 comments