Day Three Challenge

by - Wednesday, March 02, 2011


   Books. One of my most favorite things in the world. The reason why I never got interested in alcohol, partying, smoking, and drugs. Books can bring you to different places, can give you different feelings, can teach you lessons, and can entertain you. The first book series that I read when I was younger was A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. That's when I started to like books. And as they say, the rest is history.


1. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
  When I started reading the first book, City of Bones, last year, I was hooked. Good thing my sister bought me the three books at the same time or else I wouldn't know what to do. What I liked about this series is the uniqueness of the story. It's not just about vampires or werewolves or both. It has both and also includes faeries, warlocks, and Nephilim. All in one book. I also like the fact that the female protagonist, Clary, is not some fragile, suicidal character. She's tough and views friendship as a very important thing in life. And there's Jace. Jace, who I think was written with Alex Pettyfer in mind. Throughout the series, I kept thinking that Alex SHOULD play Jace. (I'm still hoping.)
  This book made me obsessed in YA novels. Promise. And I can't wait to read the next three books, City of Fallen Angels (which comes out this April), City of Lost Souls, and City of Heavenly Fire.

2. Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
  My first encounter with this series was when I was a high school junior. I saw a classmate of mine reading it but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was hooked with Twilight then- my mistake. Blue Bloods is actually good! In this book, the vampires were once angels who were banished from Paradise. They become known people in society. The whole concept and the love stories are really refreshing which will leave you wanting for more. 

3. Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan
  This series caught my interest because of the movie adaptation (Hello, Logan Lerman). I read the first book after watching the movie. The series is different from the other series I've read before because it's about Greek gods, demigods, and everything Greek-related. The series is action-packed and contains a lot of interesting characters, events, and places.
  And if you're wondering, I am a daughter of Hades.

4. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
  If you're looking for a series that is more realistic and has no supernatural creatures, this series is perfect for you. The series takes place in Panem, a nation that replaced North America after its destruction. Every year a boy and a girl from each of the twelve districts are forced to participate in The Hunger Games, where only one of them will emerge as the winner (and all other 23 participants should be dead). Think of it as a more gruesome and dark version of Survivor. Fast-paced, action-packed, unpredictable.

5. Beastly by Alex Flinn
  Like Percy Jackson, the movie adaptation caught my attention first (Hello, Alex Pettyfer). I was really eager to read it but I had difficult time finding it in bookstores. Thankfully, I was able to buy it the same day I attended Taylor Swift's concert in Manila. The book was enchanting. I like how the story progressed. It was interesting to read the transformation of the protagonist physically and emotionally. From the snotty rich boy, he transformed to a humble and appreciative guy. The book isn't full of mushy stuff which is, I think, good. I can't wait to watch the adaptation.

6. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
   This is yet another book that I ignored because I was obsessed with Twilight- another mistake. I can't believe I thought Twilight was better! This book is WAY better. Fact: One of my favorite creatures are angels. I never considered angels as supernatural beings like vampires and werewolves. I believe in them. And when I learned that Hush, Hush involves angels, I decided to read it immediately. I WAS HOOKED. Patch, the angel and male protagonist, is hot (like Jace). The love story is so overwhelming. So if you love angels, a good love story, and a hot male protagonist, read Hush, Hush.
  If you're wondering why I still don't have the second book, Crescendo, it's because I'm still waiting for the paperback version of it.

7. Seven Kingdoms Trilogy by Kristin Cashore
   This series will always be one of my favorites. The author portrays a very independent and strong character in the first book and a more ladylike character in the second. Graceling is the first book which revolves around Katsa, a fighter who has the Grace of survival. I really like this book. It shows that even when you're strong and you think you're better off alone, you'll always need someone to help you to be on track. And the love story of her and Po. I think it's sincere and very sweet. Fire takes place years before Garceling began. The protagonist, Fire, is a human-shaped monster with bright hair and has the ability to control minds. In my opinion, Fire has a more mature element than Graceling. You'll know what I mean if you read it. ;)
   I can't wait for the last book, Bitterblue!
  
8. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
   Aliens. When I read the book, I think it was okay. There war action, love, close encounters, friendship. But when I saw the movie, I appreciated the book more. Sure, Alex Pettyfer looked hot in the movie and Teresa Palmer was so badass, but it doesn't change the fact that the book is better. So for all who saw the movie, it's time to read the book.

9. The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
  The sequel series to the Percy Jackson series, Heroes of Olympus focuses on both Greek and Roman mythologies. New protagonists are featured, as well as new antagonists. Before, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover were the main protagonists. Now, new protagonists are introduced: Jason, son of Zeus; Leo, son of Hephaestus; and Piper, daughter of Aphrodite. Before, I thought Aphrodite children are useless. But here I found them interesting and in one point I wanted to be a part of their cabin. Charmspeak is so badass! And so far, Leo is my favorite. 
  And Mr. Riordan, I want Percy back. Kthanksbye.

10. The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
   I think Cassandra Clare is one of the best YA writers ever. The prequel series to The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices focuses on Tessa Gray, a warlock who became involved with Shadowhunters in England during the Victorian Era. Two Shadowhunters aid (and became interested in) her- the sarcastic Will Herondale and the gentle Jem Carstairs. I like how Tessa can counter Will- unbelievable. I also like the series because it's set in London, one of my favorite places in the world. The end of the first book was such a cliffhanger, it left me longing for the second book, Clockwork Prince.


You May Also Like

0 comments