Green and Glittery: The Face Shop ME:EX Eyes In GR503

by - Friday, August 12, 2016


The other Face Shop shadow in my stash.

About three months ago, I featured one of the two Face Shop shadows I have. OR202 is one of my fave single shadows in my stash because it's just so wearable, flattering, and it legit gives off Korean vibes. Fast forward to today, I will now feature the other shadow I have that's the total opposite of OR202.


GR503 comes in the same case as OR202. The shadow tray (the one with the green frame) can be pried from the case easily and it snaps tightly into place too when you put it back. To be honest, the lock of the shadow pan of GR503 is more secure than the OR202 but both don't come off too easily or on its own which is a really good thing. The cases don't have mirrors or applicators because both shadows are meant to be popped off and placed into The Face Shop's customizable palettes that are, of course, sold separately.

As for the color, GR503 can be quite confusing, When you swatch it in a decently lighted room, it really looks like a deep green gray. But once light hits it, the green part looks more prominent and the gray looks more like an undertone. It's quite like a forest green with a hint of olive and a hint of gray. This shadow's also more glittery and shimmery than OR202 and the shimmer or glitter in this has a gold tinge.


I swatched it two ways, wet and dry. Surprisingly, GR503 was more pigmented and solid when swatched dry. When it's wet, it tends to be sheer and patchy, at least when it's dragged or swiped. This is where texture comes into play, I guess. When dry, it's more solid and pigmented but there's a lot of fallout involved. When wet, it requires more work but the fallout is minimum. 

I feel like GR503 has a pigment-in-a-pan feel to it. It definitely feels more loose than OR202 and it has a lot of fallout. Like seriously, it just crumbles and makes a mess in the case, something I haven't experienced with OR202. It also feels less buttery. So with this, it's really better if you apply this with a stiff brush and a packing or patting motion because when you use a swiping motion, it will leave you with a sheer glittery effect and a considerable amount of fallout. I also find that it's even better when applied on top of a creamy base, like a smudged out pencil or a cream shadow. It needs something to stick to because it's really loose and tends to go everywhere. Bottomline, treat this as you would a pigment.


Here's GR503, used in a previous EOTD. It's on top of a smudged out black kohl and as you can see, the color payoff is gorgeous. You can really see the green pigment and the sprinkling of gold shimmers here and there. It's really a good shadow to use for dark and/or smokey looks.

I don't think I'll use OR202 and GR503 at the same time because I think it'll be a glittery mess but hey, never say never, right? Both shadows have their own pros and cons but their colors are ones that anyone can pull off. I'll be experimenting with both shadows more and I gotta admit, I'm thinking about using this somehow as liner. Don't know how I'll do it so I guess you just have to watch out haha!


You May Also Like

0 comments