Russet with a Hint of Rust: Aido Lipstick in #13

by - Monday, August 01, 2016


Jumping on the brown lippie wagon. Ish.


To be perfectly honest, all I use in a daily basis are pink, nude-ish lippies. You know, those fuss-free hues that are easy to wear from day to day. I personally love lippies with pink (sometimes cool) tones because I think these ones complement my skintone really well unlike proper flesh nudes that just look like concealer on my lips. However, it sometimes gets boring when you use 50 shades of pink nudes everyday and you just want to shake things up, even just a little bit. Well, this is my baby step in spicing up my everyday lippie lineup.

As I've said, I'm not one who rocks a bold statement lip on a regular day. Respect to all those who do that but sometimes I just can't be bothered. But because there's a lot of lippies out there nowadays, it's really easy to find a shade of lipstick that's bold but still isn't too in-your-face, if you know what I mean. Today, I'm busting out a lippie that's just that. Well, in my opinion, at least.


Since my #9 lippie is still missing (please come home, mommy misses you already!), I decided to bring out 13, the lippie sibling that's a huge contrast color-wise from 9. While 9 is a coral-y warm-ish pink, 13 is somewhat a combination of brown shades, russet and rust. Russet because of the deep undeniable brown and rust because of the orange hue. To be honest, it's very close to a warm contour shade, the one with an orange undertone. Contour stick, anyone? :))

Texture-wise, I feel like it's a bit creamier than 9. It's a creme-type lippie so it glides on with ease across the lips. It doesn't feel too heavy or drying, and it's quite forgiving with chapped lips. It feels a little bit like essence lippies but this one's a little stiffer. It softens the more you use it but it's no big deal, really. Pigmentation's a little on the sheer to medium side. As you can see on the swatch, there are parts where it's really pigmented and some sheer. You really have to build this product up to get full coverage or maybe a lip liner beneath to give the color a boost because it tends to look patchy and sheer. It has a sweet scent too but nothing too over chemical-ly or overpowering.


I don't know if you can see but there are parts where it's really dark and parts that are light. My lips are quite pigmented, especially on my upper lip and perimeters of my lower lip. The lightest part of my lips is the center of my bottom lip and as you can see, the lipstick pretty much shows the contrast. This proves the lipstick's sheerness as it wasn't able to give the lips an opaque and equal coverage. Also, I feel like this shade makes me look old. I guess it looks alright in photos but in real life? It kinda makes me look like I'm back in the 90s. I don't know, what do you think?

Overall, it's pretty much okay, just like 9. This shade is something I'll wear on a daily basis, just because I feel like it's not too out there, unlike deep plums or those legit deep Kylie-esque browns. I wish it was more pigmented, though, but I think I can experiment by combining this with a few of my pink shades. Pinky brown shades, wer u at? :P


You May Also Like

0 comments