EOTD: A Fraction of Your Time

by - Monday, August 22, 2016


Hello hello hello! Something ombre-ish for today. :)

A few days ago, I watched this video by NikkieTutorials and I absolutely fell in love with it. Nikkie's known to be someone who doesn't really shy away from colorful avant garde looks but with this look in particular, I just love how she combined unconventional makeup and neutral shadows. I really love it and I would've done it in a heartbeat if I had a lot of lid space. #asianproblems

So for today's look, I wanted to do an ombre look but with a non-neutral shade. See, I haven't used this shadow in a loooong time and since I'm looking for a shadow to play with, I chose it to be front and center today. In terms of products, this look just requires 3 shadows but you also need to have time and patience with this. Oh, and don't forget a number of brushes. (I used 5, more or less.) :P

Right, so after priming the eyes and setting it with Freestyle, our 1st shadow, I grabbed my fave angled brush and started mapping out my wing with the #12 shadow. Right off the bat, I knew I wanted an extreme one but I started with a small wing first. I started from the outer point of my lashline and drew a line leading up to my crease. You can always adjust the wing length as you go so don't be too stressed about this. Tape helps too if you don't trust yourself in freehanding the wing. So back to the wing, I drew a line vertically from the tip of the wing line to the crease, similar to a cut crease, but I stopped halfway, kind of fading the line away. I filled the outer corner with #12 heavily. You want to be heavy handed with this as you want it to be bold and intense but be careful to not go too heavy on the center lid. 

Now, if you have a light matte red-pink shadow, go ahead and use that to fill the center portion of the lid. If you're like me who doesn't have one, go get a white shadow instead. I used Kinky here and combined it with #12. Now mixing these two can be tricky. Sometimes you'll find yourself applying too much white or too much pink so just mix and blend until you find the right shade. When you see that that custom shade is lighter than the color of your wing or if your wing looks really dark beside it, then you'll know you're on track and you can stop messing it with already. For the inner corner, apply your white shadow. Make sure it's really seen beside the center shade. I'll admit that Kinky wasn't too stark beside that light pink even if I've applied it a lot of times already. I'll probably use a white base underneath next time just to make the white really intense. 

When you're done with the ombre on the lid, you can now adjust your wing length if you want. That's actually what I did as I extended the wing even further out because I really want an intense and bold wing. Don't forget to slightly blend the edges out. Not too much that you lose the shape but not too less that you have an intense line on your crease, unless that's what you're aiming for. Also, don't forget to blend the shadows where they meet. Blur the line where #12 meets the light pink shade and where the light pink shade meets Kinky. They have to flow effortlessly so there should be no trace of where the shadows stop.

For the lower lashline, I just applied #12, stopping before the inner corner to make room for Kinky. Not gonna lie, I might've gone a bit cray on the lower lashline because I purposely smudged my mascara here like there's no tomorrow. I guess I got a bit of a Harley Quinn vibe with this look and I wanted something to uglify it. Black shadow will be fine to use but I really like the texture mascara gives. The overloaded lower lashes adds to the crazy, too. But if you feel like it's too much, just apply your mascara as you normally do. Falsies will look good with this look too but you know me, I always skip them just because. :)

There's a similar look I've done before and that one has a lot of purple tones to it and it's definitely less extreme compared to this. Check it out, will ya?


PRODUCTS USED:
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
Urban Decay shadow in Freestyle (overall; brow bone highlight)
Pinkies Collection shadow in #12 (outer corner of lid; lower lashline)
Pinkies Collection shadow in #12 + Urban Decay shadow in Kinky (center)
Urban Decay shadow in Kinky (inner corner of lid; inner corner highlight)
essence All Eyes on Me Mascara
essence Gel Liner in Berlin Rocks (waterline)

You May Also Like

0 comments