An Alternative to Tape

by - Wednesday, August 31, 2016


No tape? I got you, fam.


We all know that the fastest and easiest way to create a winged liner is through tape. Winged liner is quite hard to achieve but with the help of a piece of tape, it's pretty much doable. Tape provides a border/stencil for the wing and all you have to do really is to draw your liner. And when you peel off the tape, you'll be left with a clean straight line that requires minimal to no touch ups. As I said, easy peasy.


But wait, what if you don't have tape for creating a wing? You can always use a card or some stencils but those can be challenging to use too. Don't fret; I got you. You have any sticky notes lying around? Good. Use those. See, I stumbled through this idea/technique while I was watching Tia Mowry at Home. Her makeup artist was doing her liner but instead of tape, she used a sticky note on each eye. How come I never thought of that? Absolute genius, So here we are, me trying it out, and me sharing it to you all.

-Get a sticky note/Post-It/sticky pad whatever you wanna call it.-

-Following your lower lashline, stick the note with that angle. Adjust if needed or if you think it's too high or too low.-

-You can pretty much do your shadow work with a sticky note one like what I did. And here, I'm starting to build my liner.-

-Peel if off...-


And tada! Now you can pretty much do some adjustments like cleaning up, filling missed spots, extending the wing, etc. But that's how easy it is, just like when you use a piece of tape. What I like about using a sticky note is that it isn't too sticky like tape so it doesn't leave a harsh trace on your face and it doesn't tug too much when you remove it. If you're into smaller wings, you can cut your sticky note in half or if you want a bigger wing, just use a medium or full-size sticky note. Yay!

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Now it terms of, say, which one's more practical, it's tape, of course. A big roll of tape can last you quite a long time, longer than a pad of sticky notes. But then again if you don't have tape. you can use this. Or even vice versa. Which one do I prefer? In terms of cost, tape. In terms of use, I'd have to go with sticky notes. Do give this a try and tell me what you think! ;)


You May Also Like

0 comments