Beauty Cosmetics Tapered Blending Brush: A Local MAC 217 Dupe?

by - Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I know, I know. It's probably tiring to see another quest of finding a MAC 217 dupe but what can I say, anything like the 217 intrigues me. I love 217. It does a great job of blending powders and creams. I mainly use it for eye shadow blending but I know other beauty gurus and MUAs who use it to blend concealer, shadow sticks, and gel liners. I can't for the life of me use it on creams because I only have one 217 and I'm legit scared that it might get ruined if I use it on non-powder products. Hence, I have a never-ending 217 dupe quest.

The most obvious and popular 217 dupe is the Sigma E25. Before having my own 217, I first had the E25. After using my sister's 217 for the first time, I knew I just had to have one myself. However, I settled for a dupe first because 217 is quite pricey compared to the E25. So E25 it is. I quite liked the E25 until I kind of ruined the bristles after deep cleaning it. Woopsies. I still use the E25 for final blending though.

So another quest. When I saw that Beauty Cosmetics sells a 217-looking brush, I immediately purchased two. Impulsive? Probably, but then again I love buying brushes. Besides, I believe one can't have too may brushes, especially eye brushes.
Here's the brush head up close. I believe it's made of goat hair. Although it has soft bristles, I found that it's a bit stiffer than the 217 and E25. This one's also thinner. I've been using this brush for the past couple of months and I find that this brush does a poor job of picking up product. I have to swirl it around the shadow pan and I have to do it quite firmly. When I tap my brush to rid off excess powder, almost everything comes off. So in the product-picking department, this is a bust. BUT if we're talking about blending, this is where the brush comes to life. It surprisingly blends out product effectively. It's not the fluffiest feeling brush out there but it's a good blending brush.
Tapered blending brushes unite! The BC blending brush is obviously the smallest one, both in brush head and handle. The E25 is the fluffiest and the 217 is the middle ground. 

Do I think the BC Tapered Blending Brush is 217 dupe-worthy? Not really. If it picked up product like a brush should, then I would reconsider. But I would still recommend this brush to all those who are looking for an affordable tapered blending brush because I still think it's good in blending shadows out. If you're okay shelling out money for an e.l.f. brush, I think this brush is right up your alley. This is a bit better than an e.l.f. brush, I think.

So what to try next? Ahh, the Zoeva 227 Soft Definer brush looks like a good one...


You May Also Like

0 comments