Bake and Munch: Apple & Pecan Muffins

by - Sunday, April 11, 2021

 


Nutty and apple-y.

Sharing another recipe I've been loving lately. About two or three weeks ago, my mom bought a batch of apples that aren't exactly that nice to eat (they're pretty much just sour with just a hint of sweetness) so instead of letting them go bad, I figured I'd look for an apple something recipe so I can use them. I finally found a nice and easy recipe: apple cake! I like that the recipe I found wasn't too complicated at all and the end result is just delish. 

Fast forward to now, I decided to mix things up and bake the same recipe but in muffin form! Are they the nicest looking cupcakes? No. But they're comforting and filling and hits the right spot and that's pretty much all I need. I love having these as breakfast with a nice cup of piping hot coffee.

Just a quick note: I was supposed to top them with a simple cinnamon streusel only to find out that the cinnamon powder left is just enough for the batter. :( So even though my cupcakes are streusel-less, I included the recipe anyway, just in case you do have extra cinnamon powder on hand. :)

Enjoy!   


Apple & Pecan Muffins

(adapted from: Love & Lemons)

Yield: 12 muffins


1 cup all purpose flour, sifted then measured

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 

1/3 cup (around 76 grams) butter or neutral oil (like canola)

3/4 cups brown sugar, slightly packed

2 eggs, room temp.

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups peeled and chopped into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces apples, sprinkled with about 1 teaspoon of calamansi juice to keep them from turning brown)

1/2 cup chopped pecans


Streusel (optional)

2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces

1/4 c all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 tablespoons brown sugar


For streusel: mix all ingredients using your hands until crumb-like clusters are formed. Let streusel chill in the fridge while you prepare cupcake batter.

 

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin pan.

2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, beat butter/oil and brown sugar until fluffy and creamy. Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until just combined.

4. Add in the dry ingredients onto the butter mixture and beat until combined.

5. Using a spatula, fold in apple pieces and chopped pecans.

6. Scoop batter onto the prepared lined muffin pan. (If you have prepared the streusel, now's the time to sprinkle them onto the cupcakes.)

7. Bake for about 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

8. Let muffins cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving.


  

You May Also Like

0 comments