The Ayutthaya 2019 Files: Wat Yai Chai Mongkon

by - Saturday, April 03, 2021


 Part 1.


Okay, so photo dump series ahead. These photos are from 2019 and I don't know why I didn't post them here asap. But here they are anyway, and I hope these posts soothe all of our travelbug itch for even just a second because lezz be honest, we all miss travelling. I miss flying but being an immunocompromised person, I can't and won't step foot on a plane until this pandemic is over. So for now, I'll just travel through my photos, I guess.

Exactly 2 years ago, on April 3, 2019, my parents and I did a day tour of the Ayutthaya Historical Park in Thailand. We didn't know much about Ayutthaya and I guess that's why we went for this tour- for the sights and the history. So here we are, two years later, reminiscing that time when we went on a tour on a hot, humid day. 

We went to 5 sites in this tour and so there'll be five parts to this Ayutthaya series because if I put them all in just one then it'll be one very lengthy post and no one likes a very lengthy post (or at least I don't). Also, disclaimer: all info about each site is from Wikipedia for obvious reasons.

First stop: Wat Yai Chai Mongkon, a Buddhist temple and monastery. The monastery was built first in 1357AD and the Chedi followed in 1592AD.

The Chedi.



My 'rents and I opted not to go up the temple as that day was just so hot and humid. We stuck to the temple's grounds instead.

The Vihara of the Reclining Buddha



I wasn't able to take a lot of photos because I remember being very annoyed, irritated, and a bit moody because of the heat. Hahaha sorry, it is what it is! Not a big fan of walking around when the sun's fully up, you know.


So that's pretty much it for Wat Yai Chai Mongkon. We weren't able to cover more ground since we needed to move along and drive to the next location but I swear there's more to see here. I remember an area full of statues of roosters and fighting cocks, a tribute to King Naresuan. It was....very colorful, to say the least.


Next stop: the Ayutthaya Floating Market!

 

You May Also Like

0 comments