Sampling Samples: Maybelline Sensational Liquid Matte in Best Babe

by - Saturday, February 12, 2022


 

Fresh pink.

Yes, I have yet another Maybelline sample but NO, it's not a foundation! How come no one told me that Watsons also carries other Maybelline samples?? I swear, I need to visit Watsons more often because I am so outta the loop haha!


Today's sample is Maybelline's Sensational Liquid Matte, a product "formulated with a powder technology for a weightless wear and packed with pigments for intense color". It offers a soft matte finish and apparently, it can also be used on the cheeks. It comes in 16 shades and the one I have here is 06 Best Babe.


On the photos I've seen online, Best Babe looks like a rosy nude color but in real life, Best Babe is a bright neutral/warm-ish pink that'll make you look youthful and fresh. I thought that I already had this kind of shade in my stash but apparently not! Best Babe is warmer compared to Mauve Sinner and it's definitely brighter and lighter than Belle. The only shade that comes close to it is Love is a Gift but Best Babe is still brighter in tone. And yes, Best Babe is pretty pigmented. Two coats is more than enough for this lippie.


I didn't test this product on my cheeks so I'll just review it as a lip product. First of all, the soft matte claim? 100% true. I've had my fair share of matte liquid lipsticks in the past and lemme tell you, this lippie is so comfortable on the lips. It doesn't feel drying and cement-like on the lips when it dries and it's just so lightweight! The product just glides effortlessly on the lips and it doesn't tug and skip even if I layer it twice. Also, this product still feels good and comfortable on the lips even without a lip balm/primer. I know!! It's so good!

Now here's the catch: this matte isn't 100% transfer-proof. This matte lippie dries down but not in a fully dry to the touch way. There's some tackiness to this product that stays after drying down so whenever I purse my lips, I can feel them sticking to each other. It's not fully dry but it's not wet to the touch either; it's somewhere in between. So if you're going to drink, expect slight transferring. If you're going to eat something that's especially oily, expect quite a lot of transfer as well. 

I've read somewhere that this product is like a cross between a lip mousse and a liquid lipstick and I fully agree. It's a matte lipstick that's comfortable on the lips, has better staying power compared to a creme lipstick, and has a really good color payoff. I've fallen out of love with matte liquid lipsticks but this one's starting to reignite that love again. Maybe Maybelline's matte lippies are worth checking out again after all because this one's a keeper.

You May Also Like

0 comments