Polka Dots for New Year

by - Wednesday, December 30, 2015

It's not New Year without the dots.

Wearing polka dots on New Year is nothing new...at least from where I've come from. Polka dots, or circles in general, are believed to be lucky because it's never ending; meaning, luck and fortune will always flow and have no end. Which is why wearing something with circles is pretty common every New Year's Eve.

Personally, I just go with it. I'm not one who really believes in such superstition but I've got nothing to lose if I wear something with circles. Plus, it's a running gag in the family so that adds to the fun. Anyway, since I currently have no shirt in my wardrobe with polka dots, I decided to incorporate it in my mani! Think about it: it's a fun, subtle way of wearing the lucky print without looking cheesy. Here are some ideas.

1. Nail Stickers/ Foils
If you don't have time to wait for your mani to dry, go for nail stickers. You only need around half an hour to an full hour to stick these on and you're ready to go. I reviewed one last time and since I have some leftovers, I decided to transform those to half moons that I can use as French tips! Cool, huh?

2. Glitter
Jazz up any mani with glitter! There are tons of glitter polishes with little circles in the market, you won't have a hard time looking for one. It'll be hard to choose though, I'll tell you that. Check out the circle-y polish I reviewed last time.

3. Dotting Tool
If you have a lot of time to spare, you can experiment with a dotting tool. Dotticure is one simple nail art to do and all you have to use are nail polish and a dotting tool. You can also do simple flowers, a line of dots for accent, or one simple dot near the cuticle for a minimalist effect.You can DIY a dotting tool if you don't have one. You can use a head pin or a toothpick. Easy peasy.

4. Stamping
Stamping isn't easy but once you get the hang of it, it's addicting. There are millions of stamping plates available like this, this, and this so you can go gaga over stamping those circles on your nails. As with regular nail polishes, allow the designs to fully dry on your nails before sealing them off with top coat.

5. Studs
If all else fails (or you think they're not sparkly enough), go for studs. You can do the metallic ones or the crystal ones. These add a cool 3d effect of the nails which is cool and different and totally appropriate for any NY party. To make sure they stay on all day or for the next few days, I recommend using nail glue to stick them on. Nail polish can be a bit weak, especially if you plan to wear studs for a few days. 


Hope I somewhat gave you an idea for your mani for NYE! This will be my last post for 2015 and I can't wait for the new year to come. See you in 2016! <3

You May Also Like

0 comments